Translate

Friday, August 29, 2014

Emily Bragulla Guillermo, Forced to Grieve Alone

Contributed by Christian Sparlock Freedom

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, along with my siblings.  I was home schooled after I reached the age of eleven years.  The point, of course, was to segregate us from outside associations and influences, but I just rebelled.  

I was disfellowshipped at the age of seventeen years and kicked out of my home.  I was so scared.  I was forced to move into an apartment with my abusive boyfriend.  I stayed with him and was beaten up by him for ten years.  Together, we had a son, Jadrien, who drowned at four years of age, in 2004.  All I wanted was to be loved by my parents and family.  I lost my child and I needed my family, but they did not care about me.  I was no longer a Jehovah's Witness, so my punishment was to grieve alone.  My mother never hugged me at my sons funeral never shed a tear.  She remained stone cold.  

I must say, over the years, things have become somewhat better.  All of my siblings have left the Watchtower Society cult.  My oldest brother was an elder and has a story so similar to Ricky Gonzales' story that I just finished reading.  Thankfully, my brother's wife followed his lead, though.  This cult has ripped my family apart.  I am so close to some of my mother's sisters, but my mother never speaks to them, because they are not Jehovah's Witnesses.  Her own sisters!
I now have two more children and I am married.  Trying to help my husband understand my parents' beliefs and why they do not put their family first is clearly not easily done.  It seems that, even though we do not agree and realize how horrible it is, we understand that they are still brainwashed.  Outsiders do not understand that.  My husband would love for me to cut off communication with my parents, so they cannot hurt me anymore, but it is difficult.

Thanks for listening!