Translate

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sharon Tomlanovich Dewitt, Without Judgment

Both of my parents were baptized in 1973.  We went to meetings three times every week, meetings wherein children are learning what adults are learning. 

When I was ten years old, I was watching a movie called "Earthquake 76," with my mother.  She told me that earthquakes and death were going to happen at Armageddon and, if I was not baptized as a Jehovah's Witness, I would die.  I ran outside and dropped to the ground, begging God not to destroy me.  "I promise to be good!" I screamed.  I thought of that incident for many terrified years and was baptized at the young, fragile age of fourteen years.  

I was very abused and turned to the elders, but I was shunned.  They didn't help me.  It was okay for my father to be a drunkard, and for my mother to beat me, sit on me, cut me and starve me.  So, I ran away.  I began smoking cigarettes and told the elders that I wanted no part of a so-called religion that did not care about me.  

I moved back home after running away, because my parents were moving to Alaska.  My younger brothers and sisters were moving with them and I did not want to be without my siblings.  We were in Alaska for two weeks, when my Jehovah's Witness mother took a gun to my head and told me to "get out" or she was going to "blow my head off."  

Many years passed.....I was alone.  I actually tried going back to the meetings at the Kingdom Hall to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  I had all 4 of my children by then. When I walked into the Kingdom Hall, I sat down and an elder announced to the congregation that I was disfellowshipped, and the entire hall turned and looked at me as if I were Satan.  I continued trying to fit in for three months.  I had questions and no one could answer me until I was reinstated.  My reinstatement never happened. 

I am a believer in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  It's been a hard road, but I learned to lay everything on His shoulders, as I walk with Him.  I thank God for loving me.  I miss my parents everyday, but the only thing I can do is pray that God opens their hearts, so they can see that I am okay and I am not a horrible person.  If I have one thing to say about the Jehovah's Witnesses.  I don't believe we can judge them.  I believe that they really think they are doing what God wants them to do, but let us not judge, let us pray for them.