Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sue Marie Coenen and Family, Walking Away with Dignity

I was being raised as a Jehovah's Witness, until my mother and father were disfellowshipped in the 1970's, when the rules changed and people began to be disfellowshipped for smoking, which suddenly became a cardinal sin.  I was about fourteen years old, at that time and I stopped attending Watchtower Society meetings, also.  Since I was unbaptized, I lived like everybody else.   I got married and we had two daughters.  
Contributed by Christian Sparlock Freedom
My brother who was still a witness came over to my house and told me my daughters would die if I did not return to the Watchtower Society.   So I did go back with my new husband and my husband became a ministerial servant.  

After we were active Jehovah's Witnesses for about twelve years, we began feeling that the people there, our so-called friends, were not friends in reality.  They were fake.  They were out for themselves.  They were in groups.  The wealthy, the ones that could do more financially for the congregation got treated better then everybody else.  Those that were poor and those ones that were just making ends meet were not as important.  

My husband and I decided to leave the congregation.   I wrote them a letter and told them that we as a family were no longer going to be Jehovah's Witnesses.  My husband and our two daughters signed it.  My daughters were young, ages eleven and twelve years and were already baptized.  

Now we are all shunned, even by other family members who are Jehovah's Witnesses.  We live in a small town so we run into shunning quite often. My daughters are now athiest, but I am not sure where to go for comfort. 

Note from Publisher:  Sue has now found plenty of support and comfortable places to talk about these things with other Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses who have had similar experiences, in their groups on Facebook.