Translate

Friday, December 5, 2014

Erica Bane-Young, Rescued by Her Children

I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Erica.  I'm 45yrs old. I was in the 'truth' (hahaha) from birth. About 3 yrs ago,  after my father passed away I got the courage to leave.  Before that my son was disfellowshipped and I began questioning their ways.  Here i was being told that i must turn my back on my son for an invisible being. My depression overwhelmed me. The questions I had for so long continually racked my brain. I couldn't understand how a loving God would ask me to do that. Especially since he was disfellowshipped for questioning their ways and not being satisfied with their answers. Both my parents were jws. My dad had been an elder for a time,  but disfellowshipped 2 times.  They raised me to believe unquestionably in jehovah. I never thought for myself until my 3kids showed me how. I am so thankful to them and credit them with giving me the strength and knowledge to finally leave. They were not as affected by the teachings of the jws as I was because they were not raised in it. I had been baptized when they were very young but disfellowshipped shortly after.  My son than got baptized, prodded by my mom, which led to my reinstatement.  So many simple things in life are affected by this upbringing that don't affect them the same.  That is why I am thankful to these groups because I have now found others who are going thru the same thing. I thank you for accepting me and I look forward to getting to know everyone in the road to recovery!
My name is Erica.  I am forty-five years old.  I was in the Watchtower Society's version of 'the truth' (hahaha) from birth.  About three years ago, after my father passed away, I got the courage to leave.  
Before that, my son was disfellowshipped and I began questioning their ways.  Here I was being told that I must turn my back on my son for an invisible being.  Depression overwhelmed me.  My questions about their beliefs, which I had held inside me for so long, continually racked my brain.  I couldn't understand how a loving God would ask me to shun my son.... particularly since he was disfellowshipped for questioning their ways and not being satisfied with their answers. 
Both my parents were Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs).  My father had been an elder for a time, but he was disfellowshipped twice.  I was raised from infancy to believe unquestionably in their god, Jehovah.  I never thought for myself until my three children showed me how.  I am so thankful to them and credit them with giving me the strength, courage and knowledge to finally leave.  They were not as affected by the teachings of the JWs as I was, because they were not raised in 'the truth.'  
I had been baptized when my children were very young, but I was disfellowshipped shortly thereafter.  My son then was baptized, having been prodded by my mother, which led to my reinstatement as a Jehovah's Witness.  
So many simple things in life are affected by being brought up from childhood as a JW....things that don't affect my children in the same way. 
This is why I am thankful to the Ex-JW groups online, because I have now found others who are going through the same things.  I thank you for accepting me and I look forward to getting to know everyone here on the road to recovery from the dangerously life-altering cult of the Watchtower Society!