Translate

Friday, February 27, 2015

Regarding My 17th Re-Birthday, Whereupon No One was Beheaded by Angie Berg

Contributed by Noel Parsons
Today is my 17th re-birthday.  The Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses does not allow their members to celebrate birthdays, because John the Baptist was beheaded on a birthday to celebrate the birthday.

On this day in 1997 (my 10 year wedding anniversary), I walked away from the life I had been living.  I left with the clothes on my back, walked to a payphone and called my mother to come pick me up.  

I was in a high-control religion, severely depressed and finally coming to terms with my sexual orientation.  

I left behind an alleged "family" of thousands to rely upon my parents and my sister. They helped me, held me and kept me moving forward.

I wrote this poem about my experience a few years later.  It wasn't easy.  I still feel the emptiness that comes from being shunned, but it was the best decision I have ever made.

The Awakening of Me

Stumbling through life with no clear path,
I blindly strode the course.
Never once bothering to hear
the voice inside that roared.
Always pleasing those that ask
and never of self need think.
Never fearful of any task
no matter how near the brink.
Then the roar became a force
which never seemed to rest.
When mirrors hid the truth no more
and my eyes never met the test.
I took the leap into the faith
that lived inside my soul.
Now I stand along with those
that finally make me whole.