We are pleased to announce the creation and addition of AAWA JW Crime map on aawa.co. It is a map and database of crimes committed by Jehovah’s Witnesses. “Why is this needed?” You ask. The purpose for the map is to correct the false assumption promoted by the leaders of Jehovah’s Witnesses that Jehovah’s Witnesses (JWs) live in a “spiritual paradise” free from crime, violence, domestic violence and the sexual abuse of children. (See Above Link)
The map, as you will see, clearly shows that these crimes are at the very least as common within the Witness community as they are within the rest of society, and not what Watchtower wants Witnesses or anyone else to think. In fact, many of Watchtower’s policies provide a safe harbor for the criminals, particularly for child molesters.
This map is not a complete representation of all crimes committed by Jehovah’s Witnesses, as it does not include media, court, and police reports where the religious affiliation of the accused is not mentioned. The sources for reporting these crimes are cited in the details. And we have tried our best to make sure all links are active at the time of posting. Some links break over time. We have endeavored to save the text of those files and will provide PDF links to that data.
This map comes with a WARNING: The data and references provided are for informational purposes only. It is not our desire to create vigilante groups to harass criminals who have been through the justice system and served their time in jail or prison. Please be aware that anyone who uses this information for those purposes could be prosecuted.
The Watchtower Society frequently reports that there is very little crime among Jehovah’s Witnesses. They claim that Witnesses can be trusted because they follow the Bible and Watchtower policies. In so doing, they want the public and Witnesses to believe they are different or better than other religious groups. Here is a sample of what they want you to believe:
"11 Think, too, of the changes in traits as sincere ones of all backgrounds have striven to understand and apply God’s Word. Basically, they have worked to put away animalistic traits that used to characterize them. Perhaps you have done that with significant results, and so have your spiritual brothers and sisters. (Colossians 3:8-14) Hence, as you associate with a congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, you are with people who have become more peaceable and pleasant. No, they are not yet perfect, but they could hardly be described as ferocious lions or rapacious wild beasts. (Isaiah 35:9) What does this pacific spiritual fellowship indicate? Clearly, we enjoy a spiritual condition that we rightly call a spiritual paradise. And our spiritual paradise foreshadows an earthly paradise that we will enjoy if we remain loyal to God."So they claim to live in a spiritual paradise where they are safe from the problems of the world. BUT they aren’t as safe as they would want people to believe.
– October 15, 2004, Watchtower – “Paradise—For You?”
The AAWA Map Project quickly dispels the belief that they are crime free. One look at the map demonstrates that there is far more crime going on than most JWs realize.
The map shows that the Watchtower Society is anything but the spiritual paradise they tell you it is. They have major crimes such as:
- Murder and attempted murder
- Child sexual abuse
- Child custody issues
- Domestic violence
- Scams, fraud, theft, and other crimes involving money
- Sexual assaults of adults
- Assaults of adults
- Needless cases often resulting in the deaths of children and adults, due to Watchtower’s ever-changing and confusing policy on blood transfusions. We also include cases that have been reported where the courts intervened to save a child’s life.
- People who have committed suicide due to Watchtower’s flawed policy on how to handle sexual abuse cases and countless numbers of people who have committed suicide after being disfellowshipped and shunned
- Court cases directly against the Watchtower Society for the mishandling of sexual abuse cases. We have also included courts cases taken by the Watchtower Society towards various countries as well as various jurisdictions
- Also included are cases of the sexual abuse of children that have never been reported to the authorities. We do not publish the name of the person accused. The victims have told us who they are. But there is no police record or media report because the elders ordered the victim(s) or their families not to report the abuse. Many were threatened with disciplinary actions and even that they might be disfellowshipped and then shunned for causing divisions or gossip. We have included them on the map by the abuser’s initials, city and the crime only.
This is a work in progress. There are still hundreds of cases to be added to the map. But it is a beginning.
To enlarge the map for a closer look at any one area, there is a button on the lower right corner. Clicking on any marker on the map will result in a pop-up window with the details of the case. Clicking on the link in the legend will do the same. (Drop down box on the left)
If you know of a case that you would like for us to include on the map, please use the contact info under the description of the map. (Click on the small “i” in the top right corner for Information)
There are also some interesting features on the map. You can choose to minimize the legend box on the left by clicking on the bottom of it. When the legend is open you can see the various categories. If all category boxes are checked, you will be able to observe the entire scope of crimes by Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide. And, you can unclick boxes, leaving only one to see just that layer.
New names are added daily so please save the map in your browser and come back every now and then to see how vast the problems are among Jehovah’s Witnesses.