Translate

Friday, June 12, 2015

Walking Away with Wisdom and Dignity by Victor M. Hernandez, Jr


Contributed by Christian Sparlock Freedom
I was third generation Jehovah's Witnesses.  I really believed (like everyone else) that we were the only TRUTH!  I followed the organization to the "T," always believing that Armageddon was just around the corner.  I dropped out of high school (1994) started studying, getting baptized when I was 18 years old, and started pioneering at 20 years of age.  That same year (1997-98) my cousin dissociated herself, so I completely shunned her.
  
By year 2002, I started wondering if there are bible scriptures to back up their stories on shunning, celebrating holidays, birthdays, Jesus being crucified on a stake, smoking, and homosexuality.  I started doing research, finding out that Jehovah's Witnesses formerly celebrated all holidays, birthdays, and smoking was allowed.  I also discovered that the organization formerly believed that Armageddon was coming near in 1874.  I also read the information on 1975, when so many Jehovah's Witnesses left after Armageddon didn't come as predicted. 

I began asking my Jehovah's Witness mother questions.  She, herself, was shocked to find a Watchtower magazine about the changes of 1874 and 1914.  I finally began wanting to just follow the bible, nothing else.  But I couldn't do it, as I had to follow the Watchtower Society.  So I looked up the definition of Cult.  I discovered that it is so much what the Watchtower Society is...'a cult,' made up of Jehovah's Witnesses following a man-made organization.  

I told my mom in 2004 that I no longer want to be a Jehovah's Witness.  Years went by, as my mother started pressuring me to "disassociate" myself.  On July 10, 2012, I sent my letter to the Watchtower Society.  I've now been reborn in year 2010, as my church only follows the NIV bible. I listen to K-Love every day when I drive my school bus, which makes me feel closer to God.